Mary's "Yes!"

Originally written in December 2005

At this time of year I often find myself marveling at the young girl Mary... just a child herself in so many ways, and yet when told she would bear the son of God, her answer was  "Let it be to me as the Lord has said." (Luke 1:38)

Mary's "Yes!" resounds down the ages... her acceptance and obedience is the response toward which I strain.

I am 36 years old, not a teenager, as Mary was, and I too am pregnant.  This is my fourth pregnancy.  I have done this before... I know what it's like to carry a child in my womb, feel the changes in my body, the first movements, the increasingly strong kicks and punches, the sheer physical weight of the experience bending my back.  I know what it's like to give birth, to nurse a sweet smelling babe, to wake up in the night over and over and over.  I have watched tiny babies turn into toddlers, then children.  I've known the joys and fears.

I've also known the pain.  Our second baby died in utero.  So now, carrying our fourth baby, I wonder.  Will this baby live to be held in my arms? How will I manage all that God has called me to... being a wife, mothering, homemaking, homeschooling, tending a farm?  Will I live my life as a reflection of the great gift which I have received from Him, or will I just be a mess?

In my moments of sitting at His feet pouring out my heart to Him, I never receive an assurance that anything will be easy.  He never tells me He will take away what scares me.  But He does tell me not to be scared.  And He holds me.

God is calling me to radical trust in Him.  He is asking me to let go of the fear, without the cause for fear being removed. 

Mary's childlike faith caused her to respond "Yes!"  She totally trusted God, as a little girl trusts that her earthly father won't drop her as he carries her.

Each day of my life, each moment of each day, I have a choice.  Will I say "Yes!" to God with childlike trust, or will I warily ask, "How do I know you're telling me truth?"  Because some of those promises sure are hard to believe.

Is God calling you forth to a new place?  Is He asking you to accept a calling that appears to be impossible?  Some days mothering seems to be impossible, doesn't it?

How will you answer His call?  Will you say, "How do I know you can really do this?"  Or will you say "Yes!"?  Will you walk in faith and accept that Gabriel wasn't kidding when he said "with God nothing is impossible?" (Luke 1:37)

"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" (Luke 1:45)

May your coming days, as you celebrate the birth of the tiny baby who changed the world, be filled with the joy of trusting that with God nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...