For Such a Time As This

I walk across the yard and there is no hiding it. My boots' crunch on crisp grass and soil loudly accompanies my travels. It is so dry and hot here. So many, so very many, things dying.

Yes, the rain was a joy and a blessing and how we soaked it up! But an exceptional drought takes a long time to recover from. It almost seems like it was a dream.





And yet...


By the road a wild lantana... completely untended, never weeded, never watered... it still lives.



Not just lives, but thrives.





This glorious burst of color, this force of life in the midst of drought and heat and death... it is no anomaly. The lantana survives and thrives because it was made for this.

Its roots were made to withstand dry soil. Its leaves were made to withstand scorching sun. Its flowers were made to bring oh so much joy to the heart of this parched farm mama.

I am captivated by the intricacy of the flowers, the incredible variation from stalk to stalk. I find myself on my knees shooting up in order to capture the stunning blue of the sky.


When I look back down I am moved by a tiny spot of red on brown.


Tiny sprinkle of color on dirt and weeds.


Life amongst the lifeless.

O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. ~ Psalm 63:1 ~



All photos by Patti Brown

1 comment:

  1. The lantana pictures are stunning! Such a beautiful reminder of His provision and grace.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...