Joy Sprinkle ~ Day 14 ~ Time to Listen

Tonight my oldest mentioned in an offhand way that he had created a new character for the endless series of stories and games that he is inventing.  I decided that it was time to sit down and give him my ear.

After the younger children were in bed, we sat on the couch, and we went through the aspects of his creature one by one, in great detail.  Oh, can this boy be detailed!  Honestly, it is hard for me to understand a lot of what he says because he devises complex point systems that I don't grasp.  But I tried!

The older he gets, the more our interests diverge, and I have to be very intentional about listening to him talk about things like this.  I don't do it often enough.  It is important to me to keep our relationship strong, and if I am disinterested in the things about which he cares, I fear it will wither our bond.  It is worth every effort I can make to try to grasp his creations.  It is a window into his mind.

And a sweet excuse to snuggle up on the couch with my lanky boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...