Order is good, focus is better

A wee update on my goals to attain greater order in the joyous swirl of mayhem that is our homestead...



The three goals I set for February:

1) list all of our to-sell homeschooling books on homeschoolclassifieds.com

2) clear off the laundry room counter and find a home for every single thing

3) finish designing and launch the website

And how I (mostly randomly) projected to undertake these tasks:

homeschool book listing - 1 hour a week
laundry room counter - 5 minutes a day
website design - 2 hours on Monday nights, 30 minutes during my pre-dawn writing time each day.

I did work on the laundry room counter, but nowhere near as diligently as I intended (read: not every day).  I actually kept forgetting about it.  I am totally an out-of-sight-out-of-mind person. 

Homeschooling books... aack!  This I have not come close to getting done.  I refuse to allow piling books to sell to count, because that is just life-as-normal.

I have worked quite a bit on the website but not at all during the time I expected. Turns out I just can't plan anything for the evenings except reading to my kids and sleeping.  I have trouble even staying awake until 9:00 pm.  Might have something to do with the 4:00 am wake-up time! 

And here would be a good place to insert one other observation from my original plan:

"I am not really sure I am setting reasonable goals. I just really want these things done!"

This is my ongoing challenge.  Which is why I have been focusing this week on dwelling in God's presence.  It does help an awful lot with prioritizing.

I am trying out a new prescription for my life-glasses.  Taking off my look-what-you-haven't-accomplished glasses, I am putting on my look-at-how-blessed-you-are glasses.  I never notice myself putting that first pair back on, but I sure have to yank them off a lot.

Thankfully, the more focused I am on dwelling in God's presence, the more sharply focused and firmly attached my blessing-glasses become.

And, actually, they seem a more natural fit. 


Linking up with the 3 in 30 challenge...


photo by clara natoli

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. Those look-at-how-much-you-have-to-do-and-how-little-you've-done glasses keep finding their way onto my face, too. I know they are the wrong prescription; they really distort reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, isn't that the truth! Kind of like those amusement park mirrors. Be gone warped mirrors! I choose to look at a Jesus mirror instead!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...